Re: [Evolution] No spellcheck for 1.2.1 under RH8?

For those RedHat 8 users, at least, I may have a solution for bug 35826,
the problem where spelling SIGSEGVs, SIGILLs, or just isn't active and
can't be enabled.

Thanks to help from Radek Doulik of Ximian, I discovered that installing
gnome-spell and aspell from source seemed to fix everything. When I
mentioned this, though, I received private mail suggesting that this was
too arduous for some.

I sympathized with that, as getting all the right development libraries
installed was a pain. So when I came across the near-magic automatic RPM
builder CheckInstall (http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/) I
built some packages. I make no promises as to their utility or quality,
but I thought I'd pass 'em along anyhow:

    http://www.scissor.com/transient/aspell-0.33.7.1-1wbp.i386.rpm
    http://www.scissor.com/transient/gnome-spell-0.5-1wbp.i386.rpm

As you can guess from the URL, these won't stay there forever; if they
turn out to be useful, I'll put them somewhere more permanent.

If you try these out, you may want to try following these other
Radek-recommended steps first:

      *  remove ~/.gnome/gnome-spell
      *  remove ~/.aspell*
      *  remove *spell* packages and reinstall fresh copies

Good luck! And let me know if they are of any use.

William

--
brains for sale: http://scissor.com/