Re: [Evolution] Evolution not filtering new messages

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 13:12, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
ons, 31.12.2003 kl. 21.05 skrev Eric Lambart:

Any ideas?

I've encountered similar issues when the new messages are flagged (on
the server) as having been "seen" -- Evolution will not filter such
messages automatically; it assumes that since they've already been seen,
they're not new.  For me, this happens when I read my mail via the web,
then go home and use Evolution (the messages I saw in my Inbox via the
web won't be filtered by Evo), or when I use my laptop with Evolution
and offlineimap to sync my mail; Evolution will *never* filter
automatically on my laptop because offlineimap has already "seen" the
messages.  Annoying but true.

Nevertheless logical. If your IMAP server has registered the message as
having been "seen" (with Courier IMAP, for example, that's done in
$HOME/INBOX.whatever/courierimapuiddb - or whatever2, if one is using
virtual mailboxes) then it's been seen. And rightly so, too.

I never said it wasn't logical, Tony =)  I was just trying to give
Volker a few clues to resolving the problem with his sysadmin.

Actually, I think it would be preferable if Evolution used a different
method for determining the "newness" of messages.  For the average user
with a single installation of their email software, the current method
works fine.  But for anyone who views their mail in more than one way,
or uses mail pre-processing software which talks directly to the IMAP
server, this makes the filtering system very clunky and it doesn't "just
work".

Evolution obviously is firing some sort of new_message event when it
becomes aware of a message which has been added to the Inbox.  I think
that event should trigger the filter action as well, regardless of the
message's "seen" status.  This is already what happens if you move a
message into your Inbox (ever try to move a message which was already
moved by an automatic filter, back into the Inbox?!).

What Lotus Domino does is up to Lotus Domino. Lotus Domino costs $$$
(sorry, €€€ - it sounds less) and Volker's PHB (Volker himself?) has
paid €€€ for Domino support, so ...

For the sake of next year's travel budget, I *wish* a € was less than a
$, but I'm afraid that ain't going to be true for a while, if ever! ;)

Eric

--
Eric Lambart <ximian nomeaning net>