Re: [Evolution] time anomaly

lør, 13.12.2003 kl. 22.10 skrev .b e.:

i normally have a good concept of time, and dont own a watch so its always
bugged me that linux application time is so inconsistent and fixing it so
vague.
[...]
its difficult to justify linux to anyone when the computer has to be set up
with a time that is wrong to get the applications to report it correctly.

then again this is all probably just another mandrake stuffup.

Simply my own findings: I got onto Linux from SCO and Sun Solaris Unix
and happened to choose RedHat as distro, stuck with it ever since.

Neither the Unix nor Linux, nor Evo - I'm running RH ES3 with Evo 1.4.5
under Gnome 2.2 - have ever had any problems with time, time zones or
locales.

I'm in time zone UTC +1 (CET), the time is 09:30 CET; I'm in the
Netherlands.

Your mail to the list is shown in the mail headers, which take the time
from your machine, as having been sent at Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:10:58
+0000 (UTC) which is strange, since the IP network sending it begins
with 203. which puts you in the Asia/Australia/New Zealand region. My
Evo mailbox says 22:10, my UTC +1 hour.

Ron's reply is shown in the mail headers as Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:25:54
+1300 (NZDT) today - in the future, which isn't surprising as he's in
New Zealand. But Evo reports it to me in my mailbox as 13:25 - that's my
hour forward from UTC again.

If you have set you timezone correctly, then I'd say it was a distro
problem - which is strange, because remember there must be hundreds of
thousands of Mandrake users and I've never seen complaints about
incorrect time zones from them. But then again, I've never been looking
out for them.

For me, when setting the mail - and calendar etc. - time, Evo respects
my locale and time zone settings - and always has done.

--Tonni

--
mail: billy - at - billy.demon.nl
http://billy.demon.nl