Re: [Evolution] Spamfiltering for .. well, for people who are trying hard but don't know everything

Where can I read more about implementing Bogofilter, Spamassassin, etc
in Evolution.

I don't know of any HOWTO -- but that does not mean, there is none...

I understand the general concept (new mail is output to an external
program, gets a return code, is moved to folders based on return
code), but I can't seem to figure out the specific application steps.
If there is a HOWTO or FAQ, that would be lovely.

Well, you outlines the necessary steps. So where exactly is your
problem?

The only way of doing this *within* Evolution is, to pipe the message to
an external program or script (the IF statement of the Filter) and
moving the mail, if the return code is X. The actual return code depends
on the external program you are filtering with.

When set up the filter, enable automatic Filtering to INBOX on that
account (see Settings).

The filter should be like this:
IF
 "Pipe Message to Shell Command"  $COMMAND  "returns"  0
THEN
 "Move to Folder"  $FOLDER

As I said, I don't know of a HOWTO -- the exact steps depend on the
external program. Answering this questions will be more easy, if you
have specific questions.

However, you may wanna search the archives of this list -- there are
quite some hints and notes on how to set it up.

I'm running Evo 1.4.4 connecting to external Pop3 servers (pretty
basic).

With a setup like this (using Evolution filters) you only can filter
based on the return code. There is no way to alter the mail itself.

Altering the mail will give you information, *why* the mail actually was
marked as SPAM and you can move the mails to different folders -- high
level SPAM and probably SPAM for example.

The best method to do this is (especially when blessed with a flat
rate): Use fetchmail to retrieve your mails (instead of Evolution) and
filter them using procmail.

Setup of those as well as setup of external programs to filter is beyond
this list. But compiling SpamAssassin from source is easy and very
straight forward. The first mentioned tools (and maybe SA) are likely
shipped with your distribution and should be no problem to be installed.

HTH

...guenther