Re: [Evolution] Follow-up flags and labels in mail headers

On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 14:21, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
Hi Dan,

On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 10:53, Dan Winship wrote:
framework to at least sync different copies of Evo.  Is anyone working
on something like this?  If not, I may have a go at it.

Not that I know of.

Would it be possible to use something like rsync or unison for this
purpose?  I see that, at least for the summary file, data does not get
immediately written to disk if I update a flag, for instance, so I
assume Evo caches this and writes it out periodically.

yes

  Is there a way
to force Evolution to commit to disk what it needs to so I can automate
a periodic sync?

you can change folders :-)

but this won't really help you all that much

Also, what problems might I run into if it updates local files while
Evolution is still running?

well, if Evolution is already running then it already has it's summary
info loaded for each folder you've visited (at the very least, all
folders if you only use local) and so changing the mbox.summary file out
from under it will be worthless because evolution will save over it with
the info that it has in memory.

  I don't suppose there's some magic way to
make Evolution reread what's on disk? :)

nope.

This sounds like an awkward problem to solve.  Knowing Evolution as you
do, what approach would you take?

I wouldn't bother syncing summary files.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.