Re: [Evolution] Follow-up flags and labels in mail headers

It's nice to see the label and follow-up flag feature; they are quite
useful.  Unfortunately the data for those features seems to be stored
locally (can someone tell me where?)

In the summary for the folder, somewhere under ~/evolution/mail/imap/

 -- is there a reason why it
couldn't be stored in the mail header on the server if the store is
IMAP, say as X-Evolution-Label or X-Evolution-Followup fields?

Well, you can't modify the message on the server, so you'd have to
delete the original and post a new one. (Which, FTR, is exactly what
Outlook does if you flag a message in an IMAP folder.)

The right long-term answer is to use IMAP annotations, which are
basically designed exactly for this. Problem is, no servers support them
yet. :) Another possibility would be to try to use flags. Theoretically,
servers should let you add arbitrary flags to messages, so you could
flag a message with "x-evolution-flag=Rm9sbG93dXA=" (that's base64 since
you can't have spaces and some punctuation in a flag name). But I
wouldn't be surprised if some servers didn't like that (and some, like
Courier, don't let you use custom flags at all).

Evolution has all these great features and I find that I just can't use
them because of the way I work.  (Separate installs at home, at work,
and on my laptop.) It's increasingly obvious that there needs to be some
framework to at least sync different copies of Evo.  Is anyone working
on something like this?  If not, I may have a go at it.

Not that I know of.

It would be nice to separate out some of the palm syncing code into a
generic syncing framework and then have the palm sync and the evo-evo
sync (and the T68i sync!) use that. There are also some changes that
would need to be made to the syncing architecture: right now the
backends only allow for a single sync destination and if you tried to
have another one, then changes would get randomly split between them...

-- Dan