Re: [Evolution] Lost Received time

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 19:09, Lonnie Borntreger wrote:
On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 18:07, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
anyways, I guess I can add the Received: header to the list too
(although that boosts the amount of traffic a fair bit since there are
often multiple Received headers and usually they are multi-line).

*sigh*

Oh, it's not that critical.  I just find it sorts more logically for
those who have their computer not set up correctly.  But if you would
prefer to put this work off, no biggie.  I'll just change to using the
Date field.  The "?"'s just threw me off a bit.

I wasn't sighing at you needing the received date, that's fine. I was
more just frustrated with IMAP/speed demands :-)

I wish that the ENVELOPE command gave us all the headers we need, but it
doesn't. There's a demand for Evolution's first-time-opening-a-folder
code to be a lot faster, and I was hoping that my patch would get us a
good portion of the way there. But we're slowly going back to having to
fetch the entire header block again.

See, clients like Mozilla-mail seem to use ENVELOPE and so are extremely
fast for loading the folder for the first time (after that you have the
summary info for the first chunk of the messages already cached and so
you only need to fetch the headers for the new messages that have
arrived since the last time you opened the folder).

Unfortunately, Evolution-mail used to fetch the entire HEADER because we
did special things like showing Received date (which I had forgotten
about) and doing mailing-list "magic" for vfolders and such.

I guess I'm just frustrated being forced between a rock and a hard
place. "Here, now...you have to make Evolution's IMAP folder loading as
fast as the fastest client but at the same time you have to do MORE." I
just wish the people demanding the impossible realised how impossible
the task they are asking for really is.

BTW, my IMAP optimisation patch makes loading a folder for the first
time somewhere between 2 and 3 times faster than it was previously,
depending on average header sizes of the messages in that folder.

Not sure how much of an impact asking for all the Received headers will
make. Hopefully not much :\

hmmm, I forgot that ENVELOPE gives us the needed info for threading
(in-reply-to and references), so maybe we can request and ENVELOPE and
then just the extra mlist headers that we care about. I'll have to look
into doing this I guess. Wonder if that will be faster than asking for
the specific headers?

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast