Re: [Evolution] What are mbox.ev-summary and mbox.ibex

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 13:26, Cecil Westerhoff wrote:
I just emptied my trashcan and the mbox went from 72 MB to 0 B. But
mbox.ev-summary did not change (200 KB) and mbox.ibex also not (5 MB).
Why is this?

mbox.ev-summary didn't change because "hey, we don't have any mail and
thus no need to write the summary to disk" and so the file was left
alone.

mbox.ibex never ever ever shrinks in 1.0.x. this is an optimisation
because odds are, another message will be added that will use the same
words so we didn't remove words even if no messages contained them from
the mbox.ibex files. It was also really expensive to remove stuff from
that file so we didn't bother. You can always just rm -f it and it will
be regenerated (possibly smaller).

1.2.0 will have a much improved body indexer that will auto-shrunk
itself, so this won't be a problem in the future.

Jeff