Re: [Evolution] strange 'Fetching Mail' error

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 09:57, Bill Wagner wrote:
My mandrake 8.2 machine just went down hard with Evolution open and when
it came back up and I tried to get my new mail, it started to pull them
down and then failed with this error:

Error while 'Fetching Mail':
Cannot append message to mbox file:
//home/<me>/evolution/local/Inbox/mbox: Success

This is evolution 1.0.2.  Is this a problem with the mbox format
corrupting the 'mbox' file?  I'm presuming so as /home is not full and
there are no quotas on this box.

Try removing the mbox.ev-summary file. if that doesn't work, try
checking the end of the mbox file.  1.0.2 has some minor mbox problems
which can report spurious errors (got to do with missing \n's between
messages or at the end of the mailbox).

And on a follow-up question, how mature is evolution's Maildir support?
Does anyone know how to enable evolution to use Maildir rather than mbox?

You can do it in different ways.  You can change an existing single
folder to maildir format, goto file->folder->properties when the mailbox
is open.

But a better way is to add a new 'account' of type 'maildir' and just
point it to your maildir tree.  It assumes various things about the
maildir tree (i.e. that subdirs are dirs, and not cyrus format), and in
1.0.8 it doesn't refresh very reliably if something else adds mails (you
need to change folders i think), but otherwise it works.  1.2 should be
much better with this.

I'd sure appreciate any help anyone might be able to provide.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
--
Did you hear that, Marge?  She called me a baboon!  The stupidest,
ugliest, smelliest ape of them all!

                -- Homer Simpson
                   Lisa's Substitute