Re: [Evolution] SMTP AUTH and Evo

søn, 2002-09-01 kl. 15:32 skrev Not Zed:

Currently we support the following SASL mechanisms:
CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, KERBEROS_V4, LOGIN, PLAIN, and SPA (aka NTLM)

Some might say that a number of these, if not all, are not SASL.

why?

Because SASL (Simple Authentication and Security Layer) is an
authentication mechanism that uses an underlying system (ususally a
Kerberos key base) for its purpose.

Cram_MD5 is a cipher mechanism, LOGIN is a login mechanism, AUTH PLAIN
is a mechanism for plain text user/password authentication, KERBEROS V¤
is Kerberos (and out of date anyway) SPA is Microsoft's Secure Password
Authentication which one could compare with PPP CHAP.

None of these are SASL. Visit ftp.andrew.cmu.edu and check out Cyrus
SASL which is a pain in the behind for those trying to configure
Openldap to use it - the latest versions use Kerberos V5 as underlying
mechanism..

To my mind, TLS and AUTH PLAIN are quite sufficient (if used correctly)
to ensure privacy of mail.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

The usefulness of RTFM is vastly overrated.

e-post:         tonni billy demon nl
www:            http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key: http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:       (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:         (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981