Re: [Evolution] Arrow icons gone?

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 10:50, Chris Boyce wrote:
I apologize if this has been covered already; I just joined this list.

I upgraded to Evolution 1.2 (running Ximian Gnome on RedHat 7.3).
Suddenly, the arrow icons (to move forward and backward through
messages) have disappeared from the message window.  They are present in
the main window, but I must use the preview pane in order to use them.

I don't typically use the preview pane, and like to open a message in a
new window and then step through my other unread messages using the
arrows.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is it intentional?

thanks for your help.

Like you I don't use the preview pane. I liken it to trying to read my
mail through an keyhole.

If you look under ACTIONS - GO TO in Main Evolution window you will see
the period and comma are listed as keyboard shortcuts for Next and
they are not enabled. I'm not sure if it was an oversight or if they
were intentionally disabled. In any case - this modification will enable
the keyboard shortcuts for the Next and Previous messages and they will
function in the message display window. I have been using this
modification since I upgraded to 1.2 and have not had any problems at
all.

1. Shut down Evolution

2. In the /usr/share/gnome/ui/ make a backup copy of
evolution-mail-message.xml

3. Edit evolution-mail-message.xml as follows.

In the <commands> section modify these two commands

Original
--
<cmd name="MailNext"
_tip="Display the next message"/>

<cmd name="MailPrevious"
_tip="Display the previous message"/>

--

Modification
--
<cmd name="MailNext"
_tip="Display the next message"
accel="period"/>

<cmd name="MailPrevious"
_tip="Display the previous message"
accel="comma"/>

--

Then in the <keybindings> section make these two changes.

Original
--
<accel name="comma" verb="MailPreviousUnread"/>

<accel name="period" verb="MailNextUnread"/>

--

Modification
--
<accel name="comma" verb="MailPrevious"/>

<accel name="period" verb="MailNext"/>

--

4. Save the file. Run killev from the console. Then restart Evolution.

Now when are reading mail in the message window you can use the period
and the comma to move to the next and previous messages.

The < > and the [ ] keys can still be used to goto the next and previous
Unread messages.

The only oddity I have seen is that as you move through the messages the
the message you opened will be the one that appears to be selected in
the message list even though it is not the current message you are
reading. I'm sure this might bother some people but, for me at least, it
serves as reminder to let me know where I started reading messages...

HTH

--

Chuck Stuettgen <cstuettgen myrealbox com>