Re: [Evolution] Unhooking Ximian from Mozilla as default

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 17:48, Dave Barton wrote:
On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 09:05, Eric Lambart wrote:
On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 12:49, Dave Barton wrote:
On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 05:55, ahimsa wrote:
Hello
Allow me to add my compliments to the development team of Ximian - it is great software, and I hope
that, in conjunction with fully functional suites such as OpenOffice.org, it will pose a serious
alternative to MS hegemony for SOHO and Corporate users alike.
My query concerns the default use of Mozilla as a browser, whenever I click an http:/ftp: link in an
email. I'd prefer to use something like Opera or Galeon or even Konqueror. I've searched the config
files that I can find, but haven't seen anything that looks like a governor for this default. Could
someone point it out for me please. No doubt it is probably quite obvious, but not to me right now.
I'm using the 1.2.0 version of Evolution+Ximian.
Much obliged.

"Tools -> Pilot Settings" opens Control Center

Eh?  It certainly doesn't for me! (Evo 1.2)

So what does "Tools -> Pilot Settings" in the Evolution menu do for you?

The exact same thing that Tools->Pilot Conduit Settings does.  It runs
the gpilotd-control-applet.  *shrug*

In Control Center select "Document Handlers -> URL Handlers" and change
default to /usr/bin/opera -newwindow "%s" and click "Set" button.

Opera (version 6.x, anyway) does recognize the "Netscape Remote Control"
so you don't need to worry about the -newwindow stuff.  Just put
"/usr/bin/opera", check the "Understands Netscape Remote Control" and
you're all set... unless you're running a different control center, then
things may not be quite the same.

Sorry, my advice was based on long term experience. What you suggest
never has and still does not work for me.

Well, Dave, perhaps my advice is indeed lacking your "long term
experience"

Once upon a time I did indeed need to use the "-newwindow" option to get
Opera to behave properly via GNOME (in fact I posted about this on the
Evolution mailing list, over a year ago).  I believe that was before
Opera came to properly support the "Netscape Remote Control" methods,
which it now does with linux, FOR ME--at least as far as opening a web
page in a new window goes, anyway.

If it doesn't work for you, that's probably due to some differences in
our systems' configurations.  Hardly surprising in the linux world.

Anyway, I hope that between my random blather and your sage advice, the
person in need of help has had his/her question answered in a useful and
satisfactory manner.

Eric

--
I have nothing against the American people...
...but it is time for a regime change