Re: [Evolution] No mail editor. Wrong gtkhtml? Red-carpet bad dependancies?

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 14:45, Amos Blanton wrote:
This is a problem with Evolution 1.2, Suse Linux 8.0.  Red-carpet is involved somehow as well.

Hello all ya'll.

I recently upgraded to Evolution 1.2 via redcarpet. I'm pretty sure everything worked right afterwards, but
then all of a sudden about a week ago I became unable to send mail. Got the following error message:

Could not open composer window: Unable to activate HTML editor component. Please make sure you have the
correct version of gtkhtml and libgtkhtml installed.
The error from the activation system was : Nothing matched the requirements.

.  At the same time, red-carpet told me I needed to upgrade my gtkhtml file. Each time I tried to do so, I
got a bad dependancy report.  So I told it to remove the current version. I'm still getting the following
dependancy failures: (which I have reported via red-carpet)

"Installing gtkhtml-0:1.0.4-2.ximian.1[Ximian Evolution]

Upgrading gtkhtml1.1-1.1.6-1.ximian.1 => gtkhtml1.1-1.5-0.ximian.1[Ximian evolution beta]

A conflict over < gtkhtml-1.1 (gtkhtml-0:1.0.4-2.ximian.1) requires the removal of the to-be-installed
package gtkhtml-0:1.0.4-2.ximian.1. Marking this resolution attempt as invalid.
A conflict over < gtkhtml-1.1 (gtkhtml-0:1.0.4-2.ximian.1) requires the removal of the to-be-installed
package gtkhtml-0:1.0.4-2.ximian.1
A conflict over < gtkhtml-1.1 (gtkhtml-0:1.0.4-2.ximian.1) requires the removal of the to-be-installed
package gtkhtml-0:1.0.4-2.ximian.1

Marking gtkhtml-0:1.0.1-118 as uninstallable due to conflicts over < gtkhtml-1.1 (gtkhtml-0:1.0.1-118) from
gtkhtml1.1-1.1.5-0.ximian.1."

So I tried to manually install gtkhtml1.1-1.1.6-1.ximian.1 using rpm, and it said it is already installed,
and that 1.5 is not. Has my red-carpet databased become corrupted? Is there some way to clear it out and
force it to evaluate what is present, so that it will then let me get the right gtkhtml installed?  If not,
what gtkhtml (and lib) do I need to install,and where can I get them other than red-carpet?

Thanks -

Amos

"gtkhtml" is the old package.  "gtkhtml1.1" is the new package.  They
conflict; you can't have both of them installed at the same time.  It
looks like Red Carpet is trying to install new versions of the old
package (which seems to have been updated since last you looked) and the
new package (which gets pulled in as a dependency when you update
evolution).

The solution is to start by upgrading just the Evolution package.  That
will pull in gtkhtml1.1, which will prompt the removal of gtkhtml.  Once
that's done, the updated gtkhtml won't be offered to you any more, and
you should be able to update all installed software at that point.

--
Mark Gordon <mtgordon ximian com>