Re: [Evolution] IMAP speed

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 10:32, Scott Otterson wrote:
On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 17:23, Not Zed wrote:
I've dont plenty of testing with disconnecting, and it works fine.  It
takes a while and eventually times out.  If i reconnect the network, it
just keeps going again.

NoZed, we must be doing something different.  Here's the first thing I
tried:

- connect modem (click modemlights applet)
- start evolution
- wait for the INBOX to show up
- disconnect modem (click the modemlights applet)
- in evolution, click the connect button (evolution lower left button)
- click cancel in the evolution popup window
- connect modem (click the modemlights applet)

At this point, evolution hangs, meaning that at the bottom, it displays
"Scanning folders in "IMAP..."  and messages do not show up in the
preview window when I click on them.  I left it undisturbed for 10

strace -f evolution
Look for SIGPIPE, lots of libs evolution links to turn it off. Evolution
never sets a proper signal handler for it. So you have to wait for
~20min up to 2H depending on the last network segment.

Ronald

minutes and it remained frozen in that state.  I don't know, maybe it's
a thread contention but the bottom line is that I can't read email until
evolution is killev'ed and restarted.  As far as I know, this is
reasonably close to what happens when my modem connection goes down on
its own.  There are a lot of other ways I can get to this state.

Could you try this experiment?  Jeff Stedfast (fejj ximian com) says
that UW IMAP is bad juju.  If you don't get the same hang that I do, do
you think it's because of the type of IMAP server UW has?

Scott

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, what's the number
for the open bug on PPP disconnects causing an IMAP hang?

 ??

IMAP and POP are separate.

There might be some threading contention where a thread is 'busy'
waiting for a timeout, but it isn't hanging.

Scott