Re: [Evolution] Uninstalling Evolution

I got your response just minutes after I solved the problem by guessing.

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 12:10 pm, Mark Gordon wrote:
It might be using the files in ~/.gnome/gnome-pilot.d

If you're not using gnome-pilot (Evolution conduits, gnome-pim
conduits), you can just rename (or, if you prefer to live
dangerously, remove) this directory.

There is a file and a directory of the same name.  first I found the
file and moved it to trash (just to be safe).  Then I found the
directory.  Guessing, I decided the directory was more important than
the tiny file, so I deleted the file from trash so that I could move
the directory and its contents there.

The alternative would be to reinstall the Evolution conduits in order
use the GUI to disable them, but that's probably overkill in your
case.

Overkill in hindsight.

You'll probably also need to kill gpilotd if it's still running.

jpiolt/pilot-link kept giving me this error about the username being
garbage, which was confusing.  to diagnose that problem, I ran
install-user from the command line.  Though it would not work, the Palm
went into sync mode which it normally doesn't do unless there is a sync
daemon active.  I guessed that even though I had removed the daemon
from my hard drive, it was still running in memory.  Not knowing the
name, I restarted X.  Sure enough it worked.  No phantom user name and
the sync worked fine.  Next, I saw your mail and you confirmed the
daemon in memory.

Thanks for your excellent help.  Now I can go back to using jpilot for
PIM and Evolution for an email client (MUA) when in gnome (and
jpilot/kmail while in kde).

--

Art Alexion