Re: [Evolution] Connector / Debian Sid - revisited

Irle Markus (Markus Irle scch at) wrote this on 11 15, 02 at 06:20:

No, not really. RC is open-source, isn't it?
But that nit-picking is again completely missing my point.

Why am I forced into RC to _download_ a package?

Because Ximian wants you to. I realize that sounds flippant, but its the
truth.

Why doesn't Ximian put it up on their site just like they do with Evo and RC?

Possible because Connector is non-GPLed and proprietary? No idea, really.

This is not about RC as piece of software. It's about RC being the only
means of obtaining connector thus forcing people who want to use connector
to use RC as well and simultaneously excluding lots of people for whom RC
simply does not work.

Evo+Conn was running fine on the Sid-boxes I set it up on. Now with the
1.2 update I'm back in hell again. As a bonus RC stopped to work on the
Suse 8.0 boxes I used to download the previous connector version... I'm
currently running Outlook within VMWare... *sigh*

Yeah, I was never happy with RC. So now I only use the packages in Debian
unstable. I don't use RC, but I can sympathize that Ximian's practice is
aggravating. However, there haven't seemed to be any posts detailing why RC
is a requirement, nor many asking for that policy to be changed. You may be
out of luck, as far as non-RC use is concerned.

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348