Re: [Evolution] I just deleted the VFolder "unmatched" and seem to have deleted almost everything else.....

If you didn't already "Empty Trash" or "Expunge" you could look in the
Trash folder.  Do you have evolution set to confirm on empty trash and
expunge?

Also, it is a bad idea to keep everything in your INBOX for an extended
period of time, it increases the likelihood that things could be
corrupted or accidently deleted.  On a purely practical basis, it can
take a lot longer to start up your e-mail client, and possibly on
sending and receiving e-mail, because the client or server has to
process your huge INBOX file.  Think about it, the mail server and your
e-mail clients are constantly reading & writing to the INBOX file and I
have seen some cases where circumstances led to the whole INBOX getting
trashed and have to be restored from tape.  Also, keeping everything in
your IMAP folders could give your mail admins a headache if it is
difficult to keep enough free disk space on the server.

I always create local folders and move old messages to the local folders
for safe keeping for example Inbox2 -> Inbox-2002y03m, Sent2 ->
Sent-2001y12m.  I set some of my Vfolders to include "All Local Folders"
to cover all of the old messages.  Then you can periodically burn the
local folders on CD, and possibly delete if you want.