re: [Evolution] Re: [Evolution-hackers] Scripting in evolution

Well i was more thinking about an option to specify a script which is
run by evolution before fetching mails from any account ;)

How about using fetchmail?  Write a small perl or shell script that does
whatever you want it to do before pulling the mail, then runs fetchmail.
I knew nothing about fetchmail when it was first suggested to me, but
the fetchmailconf Tcl/Tk program is a very nice interface to the yukky
fetchmail config file.

A lot of what is being discussed in this thread is already possible
with existing programs, scripts and libraries.  My setup accomplishes
what most of you (on the list) have been discussing:

1) I have a cronjob that runs every 5 minutes to pull my mail from
the office POP3 server to my linux box.

2) I have my .forward file set to filter all incoming mail through a
spam perl script called "nags". I never even see most spam, but nags
moves all "spam" into a junkmail dir where you can later look at it if
it wasnt actually spam.  All filter actions are logged. I think it
supports regular expressions (does Evolution support this in its filter
function?).

3) I use Evolution (v1.0.4) to pull the "pre-filtered" mail from my
local box via a local POP3 server. I assume this could be handled just
as easily by setting up the account as "Server Type: Standard UNIX mbox"
but I chose not to (I had a good reason why I didn't do it that way but
it seems to have slipped my mind).