Re: [Evolution] [Evo] using IMAP a la Pine

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 17:42, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
Greetings,

I'm about to perform a mass-install at a new startup, where Evolution and Opera
with OpenOffice on Debian will replace the traditional Windows applications.

I have a question relating to configuring Evolution:

Pine will be used by remote technical employees, while Evolution will be used by
traditional Windows users, so I would like Evolution to use the Pine mailbox
defaults (e.g. sent-mail, sent-messages-<month>, postponed-msgs, etc.) perhaps
inheriting relevant parts of the .pinerc as well.  Recent Pine releases allow
using IMAP to access both the mailbox and the .pinerc, which I would also like
to reproduce.

Is there a way to perform the above configuration trick?

Well you can get it to use any folder for sent messages, however the
sent message folder is never rolled over like pine does.

I think the drafts folder can be set too, so could point to
postponed-msgs as well, although I'm not sure if they treat drafts the
same way.

Also, is there any way to pre-configure Evolution to perform batch installs?
I'd need to preset certain things like the default mail servers and grep the
user's real name and login from the global NIS/SMB distributed info, so that
making an install would not require manually creating a default mailbox profile
in Evolution.

Someone will probably tell you that since we use xml, it should be
easy.  I disagree.

We have some odd stuff in the configuration database (some strings are
encoded as HEX?) to get around bugs in the xml library, and some of the
config changes more often than it needs to.

But haivng said that, it should be possible to configure by script, it
might not be trivial however.

If anyone feels this question is better suited to the evolution-developper
mailing list, or another list, please feel free to suggest so.

This is the right list.