Re: [Evolution] How to compact empty mailboxes?

On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 17:51, Janne Morén wrote:

On Sat, 2002-03-23 at 00:32, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 14:31, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
Actions->Expunge in Evolution is the same as Netscape/Mozilla's Compact
Folder function.

Just a different name ;-)

Sometimes, different isn't better, it's just confusing.

But in this case, 'expunge' is a vastly better name. I had no idea what
this 'Compact Folder' function was supposed to do in this discussion
until Mr. Steadfast pointed it out above...

Yet again showing that we all see the world thru the lens of our
own experience.

Being a programmer, I knew that index files need to be compressed
(compacted) occsionally.  So, I deduced that Expunge means the same
thing, even though "expunge" really means "To erase or strike out"
or "To eliminate completely", and not "compress".

However, my wife (not a programmer), thinking of the dictionary
definition of "expunge", didn't make the connection.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron l johnson cox net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "(Women are) like compilers.  They take simple statements  |
|  and make them into big productions."                      |
|     Pitr Dubovitch                                         |