Re: [Evolution] printer configuration

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 23:58, DuWayne R Holsbeck wrote:
If you set $PRINTER=defaultlp server in the user's environment, using
LPRng, it does the same thing. Which solves the current issue. But it
would be nice to give the user a choice.

Hmm, so with lprng then you use

lpr -P$PRINTER < file

to print

Or ...

Do you use

lp -d $PRINTER < file

to print? (a-la solaris?).  Or something else entirely?  And can you
send the printer postscript, or do you have to send it pcl?

You see, its not that simple.  Systems have different printing command
interfaces and even 'standard' filters (although as a rule unix systems
support postscript).

The gnome printing interfaces need a bit of work just yet before we can
rely on them to provide this sort of information ...  They *will* have
to be solved problems for sun/others to use gnome as a rule, but as yet,
they're *not quite* solved.