Re: [Evolution] how many people actually use pgp over gpg, and why?

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 08:04:30PM -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
I have just recently rewritten support for gnupg using the --status-fd
and --command-fd options so that we get a more interactive gnupg session
presented to the user.

This means that when you decrypt a message, we will be able to prompt
for a specific key rather than just saying "Please enter your GnuPG
passphrase" which I know a number of people complained about (they had
multiple keys).

Unfortunately, pgp5 and pgp6 do not support these interfaces and in fact
make it a bloody pain to use them at all. I've just recently discovered
that pgp6 in batch mode will prompt for the passphrase on stdout if the
passphrase sent to it's passphrase fd is invalid. This causes Evolution
to hang indefinetely and there is no easy way to fix this.

My feelings are that since Network Associates is no longer supporting
their pgp software and because it is such a royal pain to work with in
Evolution, that it is probably better if we remove support for it. If
you are dead-set on using pgp5 or pgp6 and refuse to use gnupg, you
should speak up now or I am going to remove support for them in
Evolution 1.1.x. I would also like to know why you won't use gnupg.

just my $0.02: i am subscribed to both the gnupg and pgp user mailing
lists.  gnupg has quite a few messages per day whereas the pgp list
often goes weeks without a post.  in fact the most recent post to the
pgp list was annoucing a keysigning.  i haven't seen a pgp related
post in over a month.  this leads me to believe that the gpg community
is much more active than the pgp community.

i have read on this thread about compatability, gpg is very compatible
with pgp.  in fact users can often import there pgp keys into gpg
without problems and those with problems can often get an answer from
the developers lurking on the gpg user list.

that being the case, i don't see a problem with evo supporting only
gpg.  you won't really be leaving anyone out in the cold as they can
fairly easily move to gpg even with legacy pgp keys or they can revoke
the pgp keys and create new gpg keys.

--
Peter Abplanalp
Email:   pta psaconsultants com