Re: [Evolution] how many people actually use pgp over gpg, and why?

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 01:56, Ralph Sanford wrote:
On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 21:15, Michael Leone wrote:
On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 09:31, Michael Rothwell wrote:
On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 20:04, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
I have just recently rewritten support for gnupg using the --status-fd
[...]
Evolution 1.1.x. I would also like to know why you won't use gnupg.

I don't know anyone who uses PGP anymore. Even people using crypto on
Windows are using gpg these days, in my limited experience. Plus, GPG is
free, portable, and available, whereas PGP is not free and has been 'end
of lifed,' so to speak.

Then you should get out and meet more people. :-)

I use PGP when on Windows, since there are no decent GPG plugins for my
MUA (Pegasus). And I know of at least 2 others who use PGP on Windows.
There's also no decent GUI for GPG on Windows, and most Windows users
wouldn't know a command line if it bit them. :-)

Have to agree with Michael on the use of PGP in windows.  An end-user or
consumer type person using windows may use PGP, but is extremely
unlikely to use GPG or have even heard of GPG.

In order to use evolution to communicate quickly and efficiently with
computer users (still more likely to be windows users), evolution and
GPG needs to be compatible with people who use email clients ranging
from outlook express, outlook, through to eudora, pegasus and pmmail.
Communicating with persons using evolution/GPG on linux is an extremely
small percentage of the world of computer users.

You're missing the point completely. You do not need to use PGP in
Evolution to be compatable with people using other clients with PGP, GPG
is PGP compatable and thus my question boils down to:

Is there any reason to allow LINUX users to use pgp 5.0 or pgp 6.5.8
when they have gpg as a valid option (that is probably better in every
way shape and form including support, since, well, pgp has none).

Rather than any effort being made to rationalize any reduction in
compatibility between linux/evolution/GPG and the rest of world using
PGP, I would far prefer that ability of evolution users to communicate
with windows email clients be enhanced.  Such as the ability to
seamlessly send encrypted attachments to the above named email clients.
BTW, we are not actually communicating with them if they can not open
the encrypted attachments seamlessly as well.

I do not really want to get into a debate about the benefits of GPG vs
PGP or PGP in line quoting vs RFC compliance.  I just want to be able to
use evolution to communicate seamlessly with the greatest number of
other email users.

Surf on over to http://bugzilla.ximian.com, assign bugs 17540 and 17541
to yourself and get hackin' ;-)

You also realise that Microsoft didn't write the PGP code used by
Outlook, NAI did. And NAI is no longer supporting that stuff :-)

The way I see it, that means we don't have to either.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.