Re: [Evolution] SMTP problems

Thanks Jeffrey

Done. Works great.

thomasp

On Friday 14 June 2002 8:56 pm, you wrote:
On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 14:43, Thomas Page wrote:
Hi all

I just started trying Evo for the first time earlier this week, with a
Man8.2 upgrade. So far I really enjoy it, but I am experiencing one
problem. I've looked through a few FAQs, etc, but cannot find anything.

When I send/receive messages, the SMTP will not work (currently works
fine with KMail). I get an error window "SMTP server smtp.mweb.co.za does
not support requested authentication type PLAIN".

This means your server does not support PLAIN authentication.

(*sigh*, why does everyone always check this box off?)

I've tried setting the smtp
server as "smtp.mweb.co.za:25" to set the port; no good. I've also tried
all combinations of  "Use secure connection (SSL)" and "Server requires
authentication" in the settings. I'm not sure what else to try, anyone
have any ideas? Has this previously been discussed?

1. Disable "server requires authentication" altogether.
2. Disable SSL, since odds are your server doesn't support this either.

If you've got mail in your Outbox, edit ~/evolution/local/Outbox/mbox
and remove all X-Evolution-Transport headers from all messages. A common
problem is that people set up the wrong SMTP settings then use
Send-Later and then do Send&Receive and so once the message is in the
Outbox with an invalid SMTP transport URL, it will never be able to send
because it'll keep trying to use that original URL. (This is fixed in
the development version btw).

Now you will be able to send mail again.

Jeff