Re: [Evolution] "Default character Encoding" doesn't effect message header

On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 15:08, Not Zed wrote:

How important is this to Japanese users?  i.e. is it common for their
email clients not to support utf8?  Does it make Japanese-language
evolution-generated emails unreadable to almost everyone it might be
sent to?  etc etc.

Well, one thing to note is that only Emacs 21.1 or newer supports utf-8
(and XEmacs doesn't at all, AFAIK); that means that all the Emacs-based
mail clients (e.g Gnus, VM, Wanderlust, SEMI, Mew) won't support it
unless they're running on a new enough version of GNU Emacs.

Given that some of those (like Wanderlust) seem to be popular, and also
seem to have a mostly Japanese-only audience, I suspect there are a fair
number of Japanese users of GNU/Linux and Unix for whom utf-8 isn't
usable.

I mention this because I notice Kenn is using Mew (an Emacs-based mail
client) on Emacs 20.7.