[Evolution] Woah! Maybe I am missing something here

To all:

I deleted all my emails out of evolution (after doing a backup), which
were swelling my evolution directory to about 90 megs.

After deleting the emails, I find I still have a pile of "mbox.ibex"
files that make up most of the 80 megs that is still in here. I don't
dare delete them, as it seems they contain filter settings, and so on.

How in the world do you compact or shrink these monsters...?

-- Steve