[Evolution] problems mailing to large user lists

    (Evo 1.0.2,RH7.2, Ximian Gnome, etc)

    I had occasion to spam my contact list because AT &T Broadband
    forced me to change my email address (bitter? No, not me!). I cut &
    pasted several contacts from the TO: line to BCC:, hit send, and evo
    complained that several recipients had invalid addresses. It turned
    out that these were the contacts I cut and paste from the TO: field.
    I had to scroll through the bcc field, forcing each address to
    display so I could pick the email address. This was a very painful
    process as even moving the caret became slow; in fact, the more
    entries in the field, the slower the evo became.

    After I sent the message, I received this bounce message:

    The following destination addresses were unknown (please check
    the addresses and re-mail the message):

    SMTP

    Please reply to <postmaster mediaone net>

    Reporting-MTA: dns; chmls14.mediaone.net
    Received-From-MTA:dns; chmls10.cp.ipsvc.net (24.147.1.147)
    Arrival-Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:37:40 -0500

    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;551 User unknown
    Action: failed
    Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:37:40 -0500

    I don't know what happened, but it looks evolution sent an email to
    SMTP.

--
Jeff Paquette
paquette at atnetsend.net          | Maintainer of VisEmacs