Re: [Evolution] sjis / addressbook

On 日, 2002-12-29 at 21:45, shawn wrote:
I get e-mail in Japanese but can't read them using encoding=sjis.  I
noticed that if I boot linux into Japanese it works.  Unfortunately I
need to work in English except for those messages.

First of all, you should tell us what version of evolution, what
distribution, and what you're using for kana-kanji conversion. If you're
using Evo 1.2.x I'm afraid I can't help you -- I'm in the same boat.
I've already filed bug #36049 about this problem. If you're using 1.0.8,
try this to read and compose Japanese email, while retaining English
menus, etc.

LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.ujis
LC_MESSAGES=en_US
XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2"

export LANG LC_CTYPE LC_MESSAGES XMODIFIERS

kinput2 -canna&
evolution

This assumes you're using canna and kinput2. If you're using something
else, you're on your own.

BTW, why are you using Shit-JIS? Are your correspondents sending you
email from cellphones? The preferred encodings are iso-2022-jp and
euc-jp.

--
Stuart Luppescu       -=- s-luppescu uchicago edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR