Re: [Evolution] Evolution, LDAP, etc. - rehashed

man, 2002-12-30 kl. 06:40 skrev Bill Barnard:

I am now able to connect to an OpenLDAP v2.0.21 server running on a
Redhat Linux 7.2 server from another Redhat Linux 7.2 client. A few tips
from Kirk Strauser (thanks!) got me started.

I can connect using various clients, including Evolution v1.2.1. I can
drag and drop Contacts from my local folder to the LDAP server, and can
modify/add contacts on the LDAP server.

As Kirk posted on 12/20, I also cannot modify any of the Categories
fields from Evolution, though I can see them. I can modify those fields
using other clients, and Evo displays the correct values. I would really
like to be able to modify the Categories from within Evo.

Can anyone else modify Categories from within Evo? Any hints or ideas on
how I might fix this?

The short answer is, it can't be done at the moment.

The long answer is, that this goes back several months, together with
Evo (mailing/contact) lists, which are also "not there."

Categories used to be possible in 1.0.x, but they were entered wrongly
by Evo. Categories is a multi-value attribute that should have dollar
sign ($) separators (most clients would actually use newlines) and Evo
was entering the categories with a comma separator, i.e. single-value.

At that time, the number of posts to this list with ldap
questions/wishes was limited to a couple of people. The Evo hackers had
so much to do, that the person responsible for the ldap stuff said he'd
stop any further work on it for the time being and cut out categories.

One of the Openldap list people implemented a calendar/task URI schema
that works correctly with Evo, otherwise that wouldn't be possible,
either.

I use ldap for absolutely all authentication and user/contact info on my
systems. That means that users and contacts only have to be entered once
for every possible service to be able to make use of them (the only
exception is Horde, because that doesn't implement ldap correctly except
for the Turba module). I'd love to see ldap implemented correctly on
Evo, meaning SSL/TLS, correct adherence to directory trees, categories
and mailing lists.

Best,

Tony

--