Re: [Evolution] Buttons missing from message display?

No, there's some bug in GTK (IIRC) that prevents this from working
properly if the controls are added anywhere else, so they simply removed
them.  Your message is the echo of a lengthy, raucous clamour about
this.  It upset a lot of people.

Check the list archives if you care to know the "official" position
about it.  All we can hope is that they'll make it a priority some day.