Re: [Evolution] Outlook does not like .asc signature

On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 22:47, Ian Scott wrote:
On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 17:40, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 14:54, Ed Weinberg wrote:
I've ceased sending signed messages to mailing lists because of all the
complaints from Outlook users... it always amazes me that so many
otherwise highly intelligent people insist on using broken tools :(

Unfortunatley when one mail program is used by so many people, bugs
become features.  This week, we can't fight this.  That means that we
either need to use tools that that can inter-operate with those bugs or
not participate on the Internet.

I have to disagree. It is still far better to conform to the standards.

With all due respect, 'Standards' is a tricky notion.  You can have a
standard, but if there is even a large _Minority_ who don't use it, then
the 'standard' means little.  Reality is such that standards are set by
what is usable.  If it ain't usable, 'standards' don't mean a whole lot.

When I say standard, I mean IETF standard.

The goal of this project is to be IETF standards compliant. If you want
something else, then you'll need to start your own project and/or join
another project that aims for whatever it is you want.

I love Evolution.  But unfortunately, when it comes to signatures and
encryption, it's very unusable with most of the people I communicate
with.  As much as I'd love to convince those people to switch to Linux,
and even use Evolution, it's not going to happen any time soon.

There are several other ways around this (none of which involve them
switching to Linux):

1. use gpg on the console and copy/paste to/from evolution
2. convince them to enable the PGP/MIME support in their NAi PGP plugin
(I hear that the NAi PGP 7 plugins support this - and would presume that
the PGP 8 plugins do too).
3. convince them to use Mozilla Mail and/or Eudora Pro which support
PGP/MIME (or some other client)
4. implement inline pgp for Evolution and send us a patch that meets all
requirements (refer to http://bugzilla.ximian.com bugs #17540 and
#17541) - or just implement a patch that doesn't meet the requirements
and use it for your own needs (or put it up on your website for other
people to download and use) but don't bother sending us a patch.
5. give up on signing stuff and accept the fact that interoperability
will just Never Happen (tm)

In the real world, usability is also a standard.  My income depends on
being able to communicate with others via email.  As much as I'd love to
be a rebel and argue with folks about whether they are using software
that meets 'standards', it would be foolhardy of me to do that.  I'd
lose customers and clients that will end up going to someone who uses
software that is easier for them to deal with on their end.  And in the
end, this is the 'standard' that will become most important, whether we
like it or not.

so don't argue it, and just accept the fact that they don't interoperate
and get on with your life by doing #1, #4 or #5 (your choice).

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.