Re: [Evolution] saving messages

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 17:56, Mertens Bram wrote:
Hi,

When I save a message I am prompted for a filename (obviously) but
unlike with other apps there's no list of supported file formats.  So
far I've simply saved the messages as *.txt or without extension because
the saved files appear to be plain text.

Messages can only be saved in message/rfc822 format, there's no other
format a message can be.

First question: what is the 'default' file format used for saving
messages? By this I mean: "is there something like .rtf for e-mail?"

no such thing.

Second question: Is it possible to save the headers and body of a
message without the attachment(s)? I can save the attachments using the
drop-down list and I would like to save the rest of the mail separately.
right now the saved message contains a lot of rubbish where the
attachment appears to have been transformed into plain text.

no, this is entirely "non trivial" as there's no guarenteed way of
distinguishing which part is the body and which parts are the
"attachments". It's entirely possible for "attachments" to be part of
the message body.

if the format was:

<headers>
<message body>
<attachments>

then it would be possible, but that is not the format. a message body is
a tree of MIME parts, any or all of which could be considered the
"body", depending on the individual's definition.

Jeff

TIA
--
 #            Mertens Bram "M8ram"  <bram-mertens linux be>            #
 #     Registered [Red Hat] Linux User # 249103 since Octobre 2000     #