Re: [Evolution] Filtering for one folder?

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 03:29, Oliver Sturm wrote:
On Mit, 2002-08-21 at 17:43, Peter Williams wrote:

As I said, I do server-side filtering. Nothing wrong with that, I would
think... Actually, there's a language for it called Sieve (RFC 3028 or
http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/index.html), which may be a fine thing to
support. I think the assumption that mail only ever arrives in one
specific folder is wrong.

The problem with Sieve is probably 95% of IMAP servers don't implement
it, so it's basically useless (none of UW, Courier, or Exchange have
it.)

Yes, I'm not using it. It was only supposed to be an example to show
that server-side filtering is not such a weird idea.

We know that you can't assume that all mail arrives in INBOX, but it's
the only way to implement the filtering that won't be a huge resource
drain.

Well, I don't understand that. I'd implement such a feature so that a
filter is only looked at if it's active for a specific folder. I mean,
under the assumption that all mail arrives in INBOX, you currently run
each filter for each message that gets in, don't you? Now, if mail could
arrive in other folders, you'd still run each filter for each mail that
comes in. The mail volume doesn't increase only because stuff is stored
in different folders.

sure, but if the mail didn't arrive in INBOX then presumably it has
already been filtered ;-)

One practical function I need is the ability to notify the user (for
example by playing a sound) when new mail arrives _in a specific
folder_. I don't want the system beeping at the user on all 400 mails
that go through various mailing lists (and into different folders)
throughout the day. I don't see that such a function needs to be a
serious resource hog.

easy.

let evolution do the filtering and when it delivers mail to that folder,
add another action to play a sound.

this is really not that difficult.

Jeff

--