[Evolution] Dictionary broken

The FAQ for evolution seemed to answer my problem exactly.  It was given
thus:

"My spell-checker used to work, but now it's stopped, and I don't know
why. It hasn't just stopped working in Evolution-- it doesn't work
anywhere!"

I implemented the fix suggested for that problem in the FAQ but it had
no effect on the spell-checking by evolution.  The spell check option is
simply greyed-out from the menu (>Edit>Spell Check Document) and the
preferences dialog has the spell check 'enable' button greyed-out as
well.  Any fresh ideas?
--
Gavin Chester <sales ecosolutions com au>
Ecosolutions