Re: [Evolution] Evolution and SSL smtp servers

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 15:19, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
Hi!

Should I report this un Evo's Bugzilla site, or is reporting it here
sufficient?

Two mail clients, Mozilla 1.0rc3 and Evolution 1.0.8-99. Mozilla does
everything perfectly, Evo doesn't.

Very useful bug report.

I want to have all service traffic on the inside of my firewall run over
TLS where possible.

So I use ldaps, pop3s, ssh etc. for those services that need it. I check
what does in fact happen with the service's (openldap, Exim etc) debug
tools and with Ethereal 0.8.20

Evo can cope with pop3s on the standard port (995). But it makes a
complete mess of smtps (without authentication) on port 465. It's
supposed to give an "ehlo me" and when it sees "STARTTLS", it's supposed
to do "<< STARTTLS", after which the certificate exchange and the rest
of the smtp stuff happens.

Mozilla does this.

Ok, so you have 1 speficic problem with smtps.

Evo sends "<< F" and 3 escaped octets and the rfc-compliant mail server
(Exim 4.10) hangs with a 500 syntax error and eventally times out.

Useless, obviously. Who should deal with this?

I checked the code and it sends STARTTLS.

What distro are you using and where did you get the packages?

You might also try 1.1.x, no more bugs in 1.0.8 will be fixed.