Re: [Evolution] Delete from server when expunged in client...

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 07:18, Brian wrote:
In the 1.0.x series of Evolution, there is a "Work Offline" button, but
I've never used it.  I believe that in the soon-to-be released (in a few
months anyway) 1.2, you can do this more easily.  I'm sure those on the
list who have more experience than me in this regard could offer some
input.

I've been working on the Offline support in 1.1.

The way it works is you can specify which folders will get synchronized
when you go offline, and Evolution will copy the unread messages from
those folders to disk so that you can read them. Messages that you've
already viewed will also be available. When you go back online, whatever
changes you've made will be synchronized with the server.

Evolution's IMAP support tends to be on the slow side but it's pretty
feature-complete. IMAP also has the advantage of having different
folders on the server, and if you can access the server you can access
all of your mail. (or: IMAP is for keeping mail on the server, POP is
for downloading mail to your computer.)

As Brian said, if your ISP supports IMAP, the easiest thing to do is
create an IMAP account and see how it works out for you. Unless you
start moving messages around, you'll basically be able to switch back to
POP if you don't like it.

Peter

--
Peter Williams     peter newton cx / peterw ximian com

"Why should I have to change my name? He's the one who
sucks!"                              -- Michael Bolton