Re: [Evolution] Re: Mozillasupport

On Mon, 2001-10-15 at 14:38, Sidney Markowitz wrote:
Luis Villa <louie ximian com> said:
<shrug> show us an ssl library that doesn't have licensing issues, or
convince us that ssl isn't important, and we'll drop it.
Luis (good luck on either one of them)

You may have a very good reason there, but you are about to freeze the code
and Mozilla is not. The best reasons in the world will not change the fact
that Evolution will become unusable with the next version number increment
in Mozilla.

What about basing your ssl use on openssl, write to the API, and require
anyone who wants to use it to install openssl themselves? That way you can
make the dependency be on openssl version >= 0.96 and make installing ssl
support optional. That may be a bit of work but it's got to be better than
not being able to install it at all, which is what the dependency on an old
version of Mozilla will mean.

For better or for worse we are trying to provide a service that every
day, non-technical people can use. Installing their own version of
openssl is not an option, within that context. Sorry that there isn't
much of an option here.
Luis

--
Luis Villa