Re: [Evolution] Perhaps we should keep a list of IMAP/POP servers that we know Evolution works well with.

Hi,

On Sun, 2001-11-18 at 02:49, Miles Lane wrote:
On Sat, 2001-11-17 at 17:14, Eelco van Beek wrote:
Hi,

We've created a database based mail package called Dbmail
(www.dbmail.org). Both pop server and imap server in this package are
fully compatible with evolution. Although i must say that evolution has
a few weirdnesses in handling a session with the imap server (for
example the way evolution fetches headers). If these weirdnesses are
gone evolution will be even more stable and a lot faster (well, for sure
if you use imap).

I would be delighted if you would take the time to itemize these
problems and document the changes that would be needed to yield
the improvement in performance and interoperability you foresee.

I've cc-ed this message to the imap developer of dbmail.

It might be an idea to work together on integrating evolution with
dbmail. We could add features for shared calenders; server based
addressbooks.. stuff like that.

I know that support for IMAP server hosted calendars is planned
once the specification is finished and has become an approved
standard.  Work on this support probably won't begin until the
standard is approved.  This is important, because we want
Evolution's implementation to work with everyone else's.

I can't speak for the Evolution team in regards to integration
with dbmail, but my personal opinion is that this might be an
interesting project if it could be pursued in such a way that
the products did not need to be bundled together.  Also, the
integration would need to not interfere with interoperability
with other servers.

Well, indeed it would be a possibility to use imap for storing a
calendar. But it won't provide real calendar sharing, which involves
user/rights management. I have no idea if there's a standard on shared
calendars / addressbooks. We could create an XML DTD for this kind of
communication.

If anybody got any thoughts about this, please let me know.

Best regards,

Eelco