Re: [Evolution] Recognizing Arbitrary Message Quotations (was Re: [Evolution]

On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 17:16, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 16:53, Dave Euser wrote:
Just a few thoughts on this:
You could assume that any characters marking a quotation will be non
alphanumeric (makes some things simpler).
But this brings up other issues:
    1) how to recognize a single line being quoted (ie the original
    message has only one line). I would assume that you would have  to have
2+ lines to make a valid assumption that the character(s)   you're
looking at are a quotation marker, and not actually part of         the text
    2) what happens if the original message has some kind of list:
    eg      - item 1
            - item 2
            - item 3
    This could easily be interpreted as a quotation marker. How to
    distinguish?

You can't make the assumption that the quote marker will be
non-alphanumeric. Emacs, for example has this nasty habbit of quoting
with, for example:

Euser> this is quoting what Dave Euser said.

That contains alpha-numeric characters.

Interesting......I try to leave emacs to coding. Anything more drives me
a little nuts. (no beer and all screwed up key-bindings makes Dave go
crazy....don't mind if I do!)

Definitely not a simple problem....it might come to the point of
    a) not doing anything at all....leave things as-is
    b) make certain assumptions, causing some mis-quoted messages

This is what we currently do

    c) create a list of standard quotation markers and work from    that list

There is only 1 standard way, and that is "> " which is also specified
by an internet standards draft.

I guess there's no real way to change the current functionality without
having a change to the RFC for email communications that includes a
header for the quotation marker. I haven't really had a problem with
misquoted messages yet - guess I should have just read the code first to
figure out what's going on.

Jeff

BTW, kudos to all the ximian hackers for the great job on evo....I've
been really impressed with the progress you've made. Amazing piece of
software.