Re: [Evolution] Re: evolution 0.99

Thank you for being such a kind and understanding person.

On Fri, 2001-11-09 at 01:04, Dennis Heuer stud uni-hannover de wrote:
A Catastrophe!

I can't get the mail folders on screen. When I click on Inbox, Outbox etc.
the markation always jumps back to summary! The mailbox entry in the
shortcut doesn't even show an icon (but the label is there). The
contacts icon is visible but the entry does not work too. When looking
into the menu folder "new" I can only select one of

  - Appointment
  - Contact
  - Contact List
  - Task

but only Appointment and Task work!

When you upgraded, there were probably some old oaf components still
running which are now conflicting with some of the evolution components.
Try "killev; oaf-slay" to make sure they have all been killed and then
try running evolution again.

The menubar does not help me any further because it always only presents the active part of
evolution (that can't be mailbox in my case because I can't make this
part active) - I really hate those dynamic menues, bahh, you only end
in trouble! There is no reason why you not at least offer the rest of
the options in subfolders (like netscape did with its task-folder)

I considered evolution 0.15 as alpha but now you fell back to pre-alpha!

Thanks again for the compliment.

Please help, and please analyse smaller mail clients like balsa and sylpheed because your overblown,
fat, and coloured evolution does not even have the most normal
configuration or formatting options that are more important than
weather forecast. Sorry, but I am not impressed. My older mails are
still in the evolution directory but I can't reach them except via a
text editor. I use Sylpheed now again and still think that it is a
better email client than evolution will ever be (because of your
enterprise attitutes that make you blind for standard comfort and
functionality).

If you feel that Evolution is "overblown fat and coloured" then why are
you using it? No one forced it down your throat except you.

You claim that Sylpheed has more useful features than Evolution but you
fail to mention a single one of those features? What can Sylpheed do
that Evolution can't do just as well or better?

So I wait for the day when evolution works again and I have to switch back.
For a luck, Sylpheed is clever enough when exporting emails because
evolution is too stupid when importing!

Hmmm, Sylpheed only supports MH format. Evolution can read MH format
perfectly fine along with mbox and Maildir. Sylpheed doesn't support
those formats so I have no idea what you're babbling about.

Jeff