[Evolution] Tale of woe and triumph

Maybe this won't be useful to anybody, but here's my experience with a
complete and utter failure to create a compose window... and how I got
it back again. (At this point I'll sneak in a reminder that I'm still
getting my incoming Maildir-directory mail in a 'rael zero kgon com ->
.' folder in the Folder View, and not in my Local Folders -> Inbox like
it's supposed to be. Oh well.)

Ever since rebuilding Zero as a Mandrake 8.0 box a few months ago, I've
been using Evo rpms from the cooker. (I rsync the sunet.se directory
weekly.) A number of days ago I ceased to be able to compose email, the
attempt to do so freezing Evo solid to the point of killev/oaf-slay.

I spent yesterday in a frenzy of un/re-installs. Totally fed up, I went
to Ximian's FTP in search of sources to spend the following day
compiling (what fun!). To my amazement, I discovered that there is in
fact a Mandrake 8.0 Ximian section... which means I can use Red Carpet
again. Woo hoo! (I admit it, I've missed RC since I rebuilt this box
from RH62 to LM80.)

Some futzing about with RC later (all those cooker RPMs gave RC some
fits, but I worked through that and I have a lot fewer extraneous
gtkhtml packages installed now) I'm running the Ximian 0.16 Evo.. and I
STILL couldn't create a composer window. I blew out my .gconf and
.gconfd, I moved my ~/evolution directory to see if something was wrong
in there. No go.

Fed up at last, I switched to Pronto briefly so I could compose a
message to the Entercom Engineering remailer about the Internet downage
we're experiencing this morning... and Pronto froze solid on launching
ITS compose window! Whoah...

'ps aux' told me that it was hanging on... get this... trying to cat my
.signature file. Yes, that's right. I'm using the gensig proggie to
randomize my sigs, and somehow it had lunched leaving .signature as a
broken pipe. Restarted gensig, cat'd .signature a few times in the
terminal window to make sure it really was working again, and here I am
writing this message in Evo.

The moral of the story? I'm not sure there is one, other than "If you're
having a really weird Evo problem, it may in fact not be an Evo problem
at all!"

--
Karel P Kerezman, IS Admin Entercom Portland

I'm always tempted to let people think I'm normal.