Re: [Evolution] bug in GPG signature verification

On 16 Mar 2001 08:34:14 -0800, Dan Berger wrote:
So I sent a message with a couple plain text attachments, and I had Evo
GPG sign it.

When I go into my sent folder, it tells me the signature is bad and
won't display the message contents.

Two things:

1. You should be able to tell it to display the contents anyway.  Not
reading messages with bad signatures is a policy decision - it shouldn't
be enforced, just suggested.

It's not purposely doing this, what's going on is that Evolution was
signing multipart mime parts incorrectly (oops!). I've fixed this in the
latest CVS so future versions should work correctly. It was treating
multipart mime parts as if they were leaf parts and then setting a
Content-Encoding on them which messed stuff up :-)

2. when I look at the same message with mutt, the signature checks out -
so there's clearly something wrong with the way Evo is validating
signatures in some cases.

Weird... I don't think it should have checked out... oh, wait. Hmmm...
no, I can see why it did now. mutt probably didn't try to parse it into
a mime structure and then extract the 2 parts and write them back out
like Evolution does. Anyways, the mime parts that Evolution constructed
after the signing had occured were invalid and so Evolution had a
problem writing the stuff back out. Anyways, like I said...fixed now :-)

Jeff