[Evolution] bonehead

Okay, I have given up (after too many unsuccessful attempts) compiling
evolution for Solaris 8, and decided to try using red-carpet to install
it on my Linux (Suse 7.0) laptop.

I figured that, after installing using red-carpet, it ought to just run,
right? Nope. It tells me it's my first time running evolution, and asks
if I want to install stuff, so I say yes. Then it comes back saying
"Cannot initialize the evolution shell"

Only messages I get is that OAF is trying to use /usr/local/share/oaf
Now, that directory exists, and is rw by all, so...

Anyone ?? Point out the error of my ways...help me evolve....
--
"Here's a list of what I'm wearing. See you at the morgue."
                -Calvin