[Evolution] Can't add new contacts

Last Wednesday I thought I'd try out a CVS build of evolution (from
www.gclab.org/at/pub/debian/gnome-glibc2.2).  Everything worked great,
except that all my contacts were gone.  Thinking I could just recreate
them, I deleted my ~/evolution/local/Contacts directory.  I restarted
evo and it created the Contacts folder, but the Contacts folder doesn't
contain an addressbook.db, and the "New Contact" folder is greyed out.

I know that I'm using an unsupported build here, so I don't expect any
simple fixes, but could somebody point me in the right direction as far
as diagnosing the problem?

Thanks,
Abe