Re: [Evolution] First time druid and email adres.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Michael Leone wrote:
What goofy format? I use an Exchange server here, and all my external
outgoing mail is addressed normally - evolution ximian com  Never had to
state a routing path, but then, my Exchange server does it's own POP3
and
SMTP, on a publically addressable IP.

Internally, Exchange converts all addresses to it's own format.  Go into
your exchange address book, right-click on your name, and go to the
addresses tab.  Look at all the neat X500, SMTP, Exchange, Notes, or
whatever else addresses you have attached to your account in Exchange.

SMTP only exists outside Exchange.  Inside, it's MS's own proprietary
format.

So?

All that means is that Exchange can connect and send to many different kinds
of proprietary mail systems.
It's not like MS came up with the Notes Mail format - all it means is that
Exchange can communicate with a Notes Mail server (using the proper
"connector" - what we think of as an add-in module), in the native Notes
Mail format.

As long as MS sends out (and accepts in) RFC-compliant email, who cares if
they convert the mail into a proprietary format internally to deliver to
local users? Exchange supports both POP3 and SMTP, (and IMAP), so you can
use any mail client that also supports these standards. I know; I've used at
least 2 or 3 non-MS mail clients against an Exchange server (using POP3 and
SMTP).

Note that this is for MAIL only; not all the scheduling, etc that Exchange
will also do.