[Evolution] Re: [Evolution-hackers] Feature request summary 1/27

On 28 Jan 2001 16:54:26 +1030, Duncan Mak wrote:

On 28 Jan 2001 16:54:26 +1030, Not Zed wrote:
- Like the '!' bang column, the ability to add other tagging
critirias.
(Adrian Custer <acuster nature berkeley edu>)
Hrm, such as?
The example Adrian gave me is this:
Say I get a bunch of job offers, I can mark them all week, and at
the end
of the week. I can do whatever I need to do to this particular set
of
messages.

I saw this and thought that it would be a nice tagging feature. It
would
be helpful for me for tagging mailing list messages for the feature
request summaries. Currently, I use the '!' field, but I also use it
for
other  mail too. WIth this, I can assign a 'work' field, and tag the
messages accordingly. Defeinitely an 'advance' feature, I guess.

Is this not simply allowing extra icons and columns of different kind in
the "Field Chooser"? It would seem pretty simple to add the ability to
have bangs ("!") of different colours that would colour messages
differently.

Later one could get fancy and add user selectable icons for the column
that would cause user selectable highlighting (colour, font change (e.g.
italics)) of all the messages. Even further on, one could add the
ability to perform actions on all the messages tagged in a particular
way (e.g. have an "S" tag that turned all the messages green; read one's
mail, tagging the appropriate messages; then be able to save all the "S"
tagged messages to a big text file and expunge them from evolution.)

The first of these seems pretty simple and really helpful. It's a bit
like being able to create temporary v-folders on a set of messages that
one cannot define a priori through a set of rules.

ciao,
adrian