Re: [Evolution] Re: Advice

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 10:58:00AM -0500, Alan Shutko wrote to To evolution ximian com:
:-) Don Duck Harper <duck duckland org> writes:
:-)
:-) > It is generally very easy to set up regex to cover 99% of the charaters
:-) > used to mark replies...
:-)
:-) Really?  Could you give me such a regexp, which would cover any ASCII
:-) character (including 8 bit characters), multi-character sequences, and
:-) more importantly, be able to differentiate between different _levels_
:-) of quoting so that it can highlight or hide them differently?  Without
:-) ending up with massive false positives?
:-)
:-) If you can, I think the entire Gnus user base would be very happy,
:-) since we've been trying for years and haven't come up with a good
:-) solution.

I will see if I can find something...IRC, Outlook & Netscape do a very
good job...

:-) > personally, because I am currently in a text MUA 100%, I *like* the
:-) > different charaters, as it servers the same function to me as your
:-) > highlighting.
:-)
:-) Wouldn't it be better to fix Mutt so it can highlight?  (Or use XEmacs
:-) with Gnus.)  That can be done on a pure text terminal.  Furthermore,
:-) if everyone _did_ use the same quoting char, the MUA could reliably
:-) display it however you wanted it to, including putting smileys in
:-) front of each line.

XEmacs/Gnus is not an option ( a) majority of the time I can only use
charater cell, no GUI b) I am a consultant, and never know if the
termcap entry of the terminal I am using handles any high-lighting,
color, etc. c) emacs never gets installed on my systems. )

Netscape/Outlook/Exmh(I think it did, been too many years) do this
currently....

Don

--
Don Harper, RHCE, MCSE                          email: duck duckland org
Just a systems kinda guy...                      http://www.duckland.org

NEW GOVERNMENT WARNINGS ON ALCOHOL
WARNING:  consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are
tougher, handsomer and smarter than some really, really big guy, named
Chuck.