Re: [Evolution] Advice

On 18 Jan 2001 18:42:47 -0800, David Fallon wrote:

and replace it with a better store, from a SQL db to a mini version of
the Exchange Server store. Both failed, so Outlook will be stuck with
this terrible store for the foreseeable future. And customers know and
understand why Outlook's store suck so bad. If Evolution had a fast,
reliable, 3rd-party-accessible and a non-proprietary store, a surprising
number of corporations would be very interested.

Can any of the evolution hackers address this? Obviously, as GPL'd software,
it's automatically non-propriertary, and I'm sure the conversion tools will
be in place to make it third-party accessable (in a worst case scenario, the
third party has the source code...), but specifically, what format is it,
and what are the expectations as to scalability/speed? Is the current format
a temp solution or the long term fix?

I should have cc'd the list on this I guess...

Basically, Evolution uses the Unix mbox standard format by default and
can/does support other formats currently such as MH and Maildir. It
would be possible to write an SQL provider as well, but we haven't yet
done it because it's not a high priority. Mbox scales pretty damn well
with our indexing in place, Evolution should be able to handle 40+ megs
of mail without a problem (and I know it does because we've tested it).
Evolution is VERY fast in this reguard.

Jeff