Re: [Evolution] Save hooks again - more details...

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 01:28:49PM -0500 or thereabouts, Michael Leone wrote:
I got a few replies on my feature request and seems like I need to
explain a little bit more detailed what I mean.  I'm not talking about
regular filters or vfolders. Those I know (and use), but it's not what
I mean. Save hooks are like filters, but they are not applied when
the mail gets received. Imgine this scenario (which is pretty close
to the truth for me and many others...)

You email with friends and coworkers a lot, and you like to file
messages in a folder per person. However you want to read and
reply to those messages from you inbox, so they need to show

Why? Since you're going to be filing them in another folder anyway, why not
just answer from there?
I'm unclear as to what is gained by doing it this way.

I know why, because I am another mutt user, and it's brilliantly
convenient. I procmail a lot of lists to different folders, which
I name in a way which makes sense to me: they are all IN.foldername.
(The capitals in IN make searching and sorting and listing easier
for me.)

When in IN.gnome-list, I see something worth saving, and I hit 's',
and I am automatically prompted with "save to folder gnome-list?".
When in IN.junk, I see something worth saving, and I hit 's', and
I am automatically prompted with "save to folder junk?". And so on.
Those are the simplest save-hooks.

When I read something from my sister, in _any_ folder, and hit 's',
I am automatically prompted with 'save to folder deborah?'. When
I get a bug report from one of the various bugzillas I haunt, in
_any_ folder, I can hit 's' and be prompted with 'save to folder
rh-bugzilla?' (or moz-bugzilla or helix-bugzilla or eazel-bugzilla
and I really should set this hook up :)). Those are save-hooks
based on who it came from.

You can also set them up based on whom it was sent to: for example,
I could set it up so that anything to gnomefaq gnu org has a save-hook
of gnome-faq.

But the point is that I keep a clear distinction between folders
containing unread email (which is where all these save-hooks apply)
and folders containing email which for some reason I want to keep.
And I just set these hooks up once, tinkered a couple of times,
and never bothered with them again.

With Bodo's example, suppose four of us are mailing each other:
your method would have them arrive in folders called abby, ben
and cat. Suppose they have all sent a bunch of stuff following
on from each others' emails. Your suggestion would mean flipping
between three folders to follow it and reply appropriately. Bodo's
would mean that they all arrive into wherever, you read the lot,
reply to those which are relevant, and then you hit 's' (in mutt
terms, or or click save in evolution, yes :)), and Abby's go into
abby, Ben's into ben and Cat's into cat. Without your having to
lift a finger.

I think that's what he's getting at.

Telsa