[Evolution] Re: Save hooks again - more details...

Bodo Bauer <bb turbolinux com> writes:

I have hundreds of contacts and it's just not practical to have
unanswered mail distributed into the folders.

Why is it impractical?  It's practical to read hundreds of mailing
lists or newgroups, so it should be practical to read hundreds of
folders, especially since most of them will probably not have new
messages every time you check.  I do something similar with helpdesk
calls here at work, and file each project into a separate folder.

I think it would be better to come up with an interface which can
handle this problem than to patch over it by a save hook.

For example, a newsreader-like view where only folders with new
messages are shown would be useful.  (Evolution might have this
already... I haven't looked too hard.  In any case, I'm sure it'll
have it soon, since it's fairly essential to dealing with tons of
mailing lists.)

Or, why not use a vfolder to show unread messages?

I need a single location where all these mails show up first. Maybe
it's just my way of doing things...

This is what I don't quite understand.  Do you need a single physical
location, or can you use vfolders?  Or do you need an easy way to read
different locations?

Well it's only taking up double space until the mail is answered and
removed.

This is where a 1 message/file storage format and hardlinking come in
handy.  But it doesn't look like Evolution does hardlinking yet... at
least not for maildir folders.  (Haven't tried mh.)

--
Alan Shutko <ats acm org> - In a variety of flavors!
There are more ways of killing a cat than choking her with cream.